You can save money by customizing your content and only paying for what you want, without annoying cable box rental fees. Get access to features like unlimited cloud storage, 4K HDR content, and the ability to stream across multiple devices. While “cord cutting” generally refers to ditching your cable box, there are actually different ways to cut the cord.
There are so many great ways to watch your favorite movies, shows, live TV and sports, but so many great choices can also be overwhelming. So we’ve put together simple guide to help you choose the right cord cutting apps.
Cable-free live TV is here with Youtube TV. Live TV from 50+ networks plus YouTube Red Originals. Enjoy local and national live sports, and must-see shows the moment they air at up to 1080p at 60 frames per second. Record all your favorites without storage space limits, and stream on multiple devices. You can also share with up to 5 other roommates or family members in your household. US$40.00 / month.
Personalize your channel lineup and save. For US$20 a month you can stream everything from HGTV and ESPN to the History Channel and, of course, those ever-present Law and Order: SVU marathons on TNT. There are several different Sling TV packages so be sure to peruse their site for the networks you want before pulling the trigger. Sling Orange has 20+ channels for US$20 / month, Blue offers 30+ for US$40 / month.
PlayStation Vue is a live streaming TV service with sports, news, and your favorite must-watch shows. Experience premium channels and the ability to stream on up to five devices at once. The SHIELD TV team loves its powerful cloud DVR available in your home and on the go. Similar to other live TV streaming apps, with PlayStation Vue, SHIELD owners can watch movies, sports, and “On Demand programming” from a plethora channels including AMC, Comedy Central, Disney, ESPN, HBO, NFL Network, and SHOWTIME. US$39.99 / month.
Netflix (4K HDR)
Netflix is the world’s leading subscription service for watching TV episodes and movies on your favorite device. There’s tons of great original Netflix content like Stranger Things and Black Mirror. With 4K HDR (high dynamic range) and the Google Assistant to play your favorite content, “Hey Google, watch Arrested Development on Netflix.” SHIELD TV is the best Netflix experience. US$7.99/month.
- Showtime – Current shows and on-demand access to every season of every SHOWTIME Original Series. Free with cable account or subscribe for US$10.99/month.
- CBS All Access – Watch more than 6,500 episodes of your favorite CBS shows on-demand. New episodes of current shows will be available on-demand the day after their first airing. US$5.99 / month w/commercials or US$9.99 commercial free.
- FOX NOW – Watch full episodes of your favorite TV shows like American Horror Story, The Americans, Archer, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and check out Simpsons World, a one-of-a-kind experience with access to every episode of The Simpsons. Cable account required.
- Starz – Movies and TV for every mood or occasion. Drama, comedy, sci-fi, action, adventure, documentary, romance, you get the picture. Free with cable account or subscribe for US$8.99 / month.
- ABC – Catch the latest episodes of your favorites like The Good Doctor and Scandal with cable subscription, and binge watch throwbacks for free.
- ESPN – Stream events on ESPN networks, including MLB, NFL, College Football, NBA, College Basketball games and more. Watch on-demand shows like Get Up! or First Take. Free with cable account or sign up for ESPN+ coming soon to SHIELD TV.
- MLB.TV – Watch every 2018 regular season game LIVE or on demand in HD. DVR controls that let you pause and rewind live game action, even jump to big plays. US$24.99/month.
- NFL – The official app of the NFL with live local and primetime games, trending videos and highlights. Replays of every game with required NFL Game Pass. US$49.99 one-time payment.
- Fox Sports GO – With FOX Sports GO, you can watch live sports and great shows from FOX Sports, FS1, FS2, and more, plus shows like Undisputed, The Herd, First Things First, and more. You need to receive these channels on cable to watch them in FOX Sports GO.
- CBS Sports – Scoreboards and real time stats for all major sports. Alerts about your favorite teams – never miss a thing about the teams you love. Watch CBS Sports Network with a cable account or CBS All Access subscription at US$ 5.99/month w/commercials or US$9.99 for commercial free access.
So-called “pure cord cutters” believe that TV content should be free. Luckily there are several apps that are perfectly designed for cord cutting purists. But before you jump in, your best bet is to invest in a digital tuner and antenna, as you’ll no doubt end up watching a lot of over-the-air HDTV. We recommend HDHomeRun digital tuners from Silicon Dust. It’s an initial US$100 investment and a future of free TV. When it comes to HD antennas, pretty much anything you find on Amazon should work. Be sure to read our article, How to Watch Live TV on NVIDIA SHIELD for more on live TV.
You made it to the end! By now you should be a cord cutting expert. If you decide to cut the cord, go with SHIELD TV for its robust app selection, 4K HDR content, and reliable performance. You can buy the streaming SKU for cord cutters here.